Friday, March 1, 2013

Help exchange - the special way to travel

I have worked in a farm and a hostel through HELPX.

I applied to about 3 farms that match my schedule and one of them took me. I was really picky when choosing these farms. I was looking for the farms with different kinds animals I really like to work with, while a lot of them only specifically have a few kinds. I ended up working in a farm has sheep, cattle, goats, ducks, chicken, big parrots, and even two ostriches. I also looked for private room, free meals and the farm owner need to have good comments. Most importantly, they don’t ask me to work long hours so that I can have my own time to have fun. And those are all possible in Helpx.

I worked 2-3 hours per day and took one day off in that week. My job included feeding animals, digging potatoes and cleaning house. They are not really hard and I surely had lots of fun during working. The best experience I got was to sell animals and vegetables in a farmers market. We sold more than 10 chickens, 3 ducks and a lot of potatoes that day.

The couple in that farm was really nice. They tried to let me have all the experiences I can ever have in a farm. They showed me how to feed animals, how to inseminate a cow and they even shaved their sheep earlier because I was leaving the next day.


Help exchange is a good and special way to explore the world you don’t know. It’s not about how much money you can make or how important your job is. You volunteer your time and receive free accommodation. Remember, the amazing experiences that you don’t have in your daily life are what you will treasure the most.
A "smiling" goat. It ran toward me every time I walked to the fence.

6 comments:

  1. First of all: I love goats ;)

    Secondly, what a cool experience! I had no idea all of this was possible and that there are so many affordable ways to travel. I feel like I've been living in a shell all these years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a similar organization Ive looked into and has farms all around the world that hosts volunteers as help throughout their growing season. Surprisingly there are a lot in Canada. Its called WWOOF WorldWide Opportunities on Organic Farms. Kind of sounds very similar to your experience here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWOOF is not as convenience as HELPX. Most farms on WWOOF is also on HELPX, but you have more choice here. You also need to pay for each countries' lists you want to have a look. HELPX only charge you once for around $30.

      And WWOOF only has organic farms- I hate worms and bugs! haha

      Delete
  3. That's an amazing idea. I never really thought of doing something like this. I will have to look into it. It looks like a lot of fun and a great learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome experience! I have always wanted to go backpacking and have always leaned towards going to Europe but this actually looks really fun and I love the smiling goat :)

    ReplyDelete