Friday, March 8, 2013

Backpacker 101 (part 1)

After reading about backpacking trips in the past posts, have you come up with an idea of what  backpacker is?

Backpacking is about to plan your trip, determine your route and take care of yourself. It is a positive, proactive, unconstrained, profound, frugal but full of poetical traveling style. Backpackers have their own style- you can walk in the cities, drive on the highways or hike in the natures. Backpackers need to be responsible to themselves including care about accommodations, transportations and their own safety.  But their work is also rewarding, you can not only learn how to be independent, take care of yourself, but also own the journey only belongs to yourself.

What is the hardest part? For many people, it’s to take the first step - having a heart that is ready to go out of your comfort zone, to step to the world you may never know.

Here are 6 steps for backpackers. 

Step one: Recognize yourself

To recognize yourself, you need to know:
  • How much money and time you are willing to spend
  • ŸWhat do you want to see in your trip? Nature or culture? Bushwalking or shopping in big cities?

Once you understand what you want deeply, it’s easier for you to start to plan.

Step two: research and determine your destination

The basic research you need to do is about the scenery spot, climate, transportation, price of commodities. If you pursue a depth of your trip, you might also want to research on local history, culture, language, holidays, architectures and arts. For the newbie backpackers, you should start your research early. The more information you have, the more smooth and fun you trip will be.

I will talk about other steps in my next post.

6 comments:

  1. agree with everything here. I backpacked Europe 5 years ago for 3 months and it was the best thing I have ever done in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been fascinated with the idea of back-packing, but I don't know if I'd be able to actually go through with it and do it. I'd love to backpack across Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Zach. The idea of not having a structured itinerary kind of scares me. But your blog has helped to put my mind at ease, Phoebe. Thanks for the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Backpacking is great times. When I did it, I made the rookie mistake of over packing. After about an hour of lugging around a 60 pound bag I was ready to throw it all out and just run free. These tips will no doubt ease anyone's burden when they're planing a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Research is so important...as I learned the hard way!

    ReplyDelete