Saturday, February 9, 2013

CouchSurfing - What? How? Why? When? Where? PART 4

Now I will talk about the best host I’ve ever met and she is also a really good friend of mine now.

I applied for a 4-day couch in Sydney. At first I applied to her mom, while she said she is travelling in other country at that time but her daughter can open the door for me. So luckily, I met Miriam. She is a Jazz singer and I went to a bar where she was singing to meet her at first. She is a lovely girl and a good singer. I also got the amazing chance to live in a sea-view house (with a queen-size bed) alone.

The beautiful view I got at her house. This is the Sydney Harbour side.

After I told her that I kept getting lost in Sydney, she spent a whole day to show me around. You know when you have companies who have grown up in that city, it will be so different to travel with them since they know all the fun places. We are the same age and share a lot of common interests, so it’s easier to connect with her and we became good friends. I also spent two nights in the bar to listen to her songs and I indeed had a good time.

The beautiful view I got at her house. This is the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House side. Don't you think just this amazing view will be enough for enjoying Sydney. And don't forget you don't need to pay for it. 
CouchSurfing is not about SUFFERING!

Before I left, she drove me to the train station and told me I will always be welcome to her place no matter how long I need to stay. Sydney became my favorite Australian city because of her. I came back to Sydney about half month later and spent another three days at her place because she made me feel really welcome.

But that is not the whole story- Miriam came to Beijing in 2012. We had dinner at my apartment and we even traveled together to south China for ten days. I am sure I will meet her again in the future. When I talked with her on Skype last time, I invited her to Niagara Falls and she invited me to her place in New York since she will record an album in New York in 2013.

So this is my story about CouchSurfing, and I will post about HelpExchange (volunteer vacation) 

Check out this vedio from BBC- CouchSurfing Report.


8 comments:

  1. What an amazing view! I can't wait to read some more of your stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cool story! I backpacked this past summer and it is so fun to meet people around the world. You can meet some very friendly and interesting people. I am excited to hear more of your stories as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I had no idea how great this could be. Lifelong friends are a great part of adventures as well - you can't forget that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the adventures of couch surfing, who knew? But do you have plan B if you come across a nasty couch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the comments other couchsurfers left and the pictures the hosts provided before I applied any of them. It's a little bit time-consuming. But you can get some clues about what you will have before you actually be there.

      Delete
  5. Its amazing the kindness in some people.. I'm glad you developed a lasting friendship from this experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a badass story Phoebe! My couch-surfs are usually a spontaneous decision and often result with me waking up with a nasty hangover and a cat lounging on my head... you clearly enjoyed a far more positive couch-surfing experience than I am used to. Well played!

    ReplyDelete